Below is a list of my favorite films set in Berlin, Germany:
FAVORITE FILMS SET IN BERLIN
1. "Valkyrie" (2008) - Bryan Singer directed this exciting historical thriller about the July 1944 plot by German Army officers to assassinate Adolf Hitler and to use the Operation Valkyrie national emergency plan to take control of the country. Tom Cruise starred.
2. "The Bourne Supremacy" (2004) - Loosely based upon Robert Ludlum's novel, this sequel continued the story of Jason Bourne, an amnesiac former CIA paramilitary operative and assassin who finds himself caught in a political and financial scandal regarding a C.I.A. executive and a Russian millionaire amidst a personal tragedy. Matt Damon starred in this movie directed by Paul Greengrass.
3. "A Foreign Affair" (1948) - Billy Wilder directed this comedy set in occupied Berlin about an Army captain torn between an ex-Nazi cafe singer and the U.S. congresswoman investigating her. Jean Arthur, John Lund and Marlene Dietrich starred.
4. "Conspiracy" (2001) - Kenneth Branaugh and Stanley Tucci starred in this fact-based psychological study of Nazi officials involved in the Wannsee Conference about "Final Solution of the Jewish Question" during World War II. Frank Pierson directed.
5. "Unknown" (2011) - Liam Neeson starred in this thriller about an American visiting Berlin, who awakens from a coma, discover that someone has taken on his identity and that no one - including his wife - believes him.
6. "The Big Lift" (1950) - Montgomery Clift and Paul Douglas starred in this poignant tale about two U.S. Air Force sergeants who meet and fall in love with two women in Berlin during the 1948-1949 Berlin Airlift.
7. "Octopussy" (1983) - Roger Moore portrayed James Bond in this tale in which the British agent's investigation into the death of a fellow agent and a fake Fabergé egg leads to an international jewel smuggling operation being used to disguise a nuclear attack on NATO forces. Directed by John Glen, the movie also stars Maud Adams, Louis Jordan and Steven Berkhoff.
8. "Torn Curtain" (1966) - Alfred Hitchcock directed this thriller about an American scientist who publicly defects to East Germany as part of a cloak and dagger mission to find the solution for a formula resin and figure out a plan to escape back to the West. Paul Newman and Julie Andrews starred.
9. "One, Two, Three" (1961) - Billy Wilder directed this zany tale about a Coca-Cola executive in West Berlin, who may be fired if he cannot keep his American boss's daughter from marrying a Communist. James Cagney starred.
10. "The Good German" - Steven Soderbergh directed this interesting thriller about an American military journalist who is drawn into a murder investigation that involves his former mistress and his driver during the Potsdam Conference. George Clooney, Cate Blanchett and Tobey Maguire starred.