Friday, February 15, 2013
Top Ten Favorite Movies of 2012
Below is a list of my favorite movies released in 2012:
TOP TEN FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2012
1. "The Avengers" - Joss Whedon wrote and directed this superb blockbuster in which S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury forms a team of superheroes to save Earth from Asgardian villain Loki and alien invaders. The cast includes Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans and Samuel L. Jackson.
2. "Django Unchained" - Quentin Tarantino wrote and directed this first-rate film about a slave-turned-bounty hunter, who searches for his enslaved wife in antebellum Mississippi, with the help of his mentor. Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson star.
3. "Lincoln" - Steven Spielberg directed this excellent look at President Abraham Lincoln near the end of his presidency. Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones star.
4. "The Hunger Games" - Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson starred in this first-rate adaptation of Suzanne Collins' novel about two teenagers who participate in a televised fight to the death in the post-apocalyptic future.
5. "Men in Black 3" - Barry Sonnenfeld directed this highly entertaining third entry in the "MEN IN BLACK" franchise, about Agent J's attempt to stop the assassination of his partner back in 1969. Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin star.
6. "Argo" - Ben Affleck directed and starred in this excellent account on the CIA's attempt to rescue six fugitive Embassy personnel from the Canadian ambassador's home during the Iran Hostage Crisis in 1979-80, using a fake Hollywood production. John Goodman, Alan Arkin and Byran Cranston co-starred.
7. "The Bourne Legacy" - A CIA assassin and a government scientist are on the run from the government, due to the consequences from "THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM". Written and directed by Tony Gilroy, the movie star Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz.
8. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - Peter Jackson returned to the universe of Middle Earth in the first of a three-movie adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's 1937 novel. Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage star.
9. "Cloud Atlas" - The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer wrote and directed this excellent adaptation of David Mitchell's novel about how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future. Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and Jim Broadbent star.
10. "Looper" - Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt starred in Rian Johnson's unusual science fiction thriller about a hired gun, who clashes with his future self when the latter sets out to find the boy who will be responsible for his wife's death in thirty years. Emily Blunt and Jeff Daniels co-star.