Sunday, July 21, 2013
Top Ten Favorite Movies Set in the 1920s
Below is my current list of favorite movies set in the 1920s:
TOP TEN FAVORITE MOVIES SET IN THE 1920s
1. "Some Like It Hot" (1959) - Billy Wilder directed and co-wrote with I.A.L. Diamond this still hilarious tale about two Chicago jazz musicians who witness a mob hit and flee by joining an all-girls band headed for Florida, disguised as women. Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon starred.
2. "Bullets Over Broadway" (1994) - Woody Allen directed and co-wrote with Douglas McGrath this funny tale about a struggling playwright forced to cast a mobster's untalented girlfriend in his latest drama in order to get it produced. John Cusack, Oscar winner Dianne Weist, Jennifer Tilly, and Chazz Palminteri starred.
3. "Singin in the Rain" (1952) - A movie studio in 1927 Hollywood is forced to make the difficult and rather funny transition from silent pictures to talkies. Starring Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds starred in this highly entertaining film that was directed by Kelly and Stanley Donen.
4. "The Great Gatsby" (2013) Baz Luhrmann produced and directed this energetic and what I believe is the best adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 novel. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire star.
5. "Five Little Pigs" (2003) - Although presently set in the late 1930s, this excellent adaptation of Agatha Christie's 1942 novel features many flashbacks in which a philandering painter was murdered in the 1920s. David Suchet starred as Hercule Poirot.
6. "The Cat's Meow" (2001) - Peter Bogdanovich directed this well-made, fictionalized account of producer Thomas Ince's mysterious death aboard William Randolph Hearst's yacht in November 1924. Kirsten Dunst, Edward Herrmann, Eddie Izzard and Cary Elwes starred.
7. "The Painted Veil" (2006) - John Curran directed this excellent adaptation of W. Somerset Maugham's 1925 novel about a British doctor trapped in a loveless marriage with an unfaithful who goes to a small Chinese village to fight a cholera outbreak. Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, Toby Jones, Diana Rigg and Liev Schreiber starred.
8. "Changeling" (2008) - Clint Eastwood directed this excellent account of a real-life missing persons case and police corruption in 1928 Los Angeles. Angelina Jolie, John Malkovich, Michael Kelly, Jeffrey Donovan and Colm Feore starred.
9. "Chicago" (2002) - Rob Marshall directed this excellent adaptation of the 1975 stage musical about celebrity, scandal, and corruption in Jazz Age Chicago. Renee Zellweger, Oscar winner Catherine Zeta-Jones, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly, and Richard Gere starred.
10. "Miller's Crossing" (1990) - The Coen Brothers co-wrote and co-directed this intriguing crime drama about an adviser to a Prohibition-era crime boss who tries to keep the peace between warring mobs, but gets caught in divided loyalties. Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, Albert Finney and John Tuturro starred.