Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Me and the "STAR WARS" Saga

The-Skywalkers-the-skywalker-family-10168451-250-313


ME AND THE "STAR WARS" SAGA

Recently, I learned about the creation of a YOU TUBE video clip called "Dear J.J. Abrams". In this clip, someone named Sincerely Truman made a list of rules for director-producer J.J. Abrams to follow for the upcoming seventh movie in the "STAR WARS" film franchise. In reality, the video clip was basically another attempt to bash the last three movies of the franchise known as the Prequel Trilogy. 

This Sincerely Truman seemed to believe that Abrams, along with screenwriter Michael Arndt follow his (or her) advice, the franchise could regain the former glory it had lost with the release of the Prequel Trilogy. While brooding over this video clip, I found myself recalling my own reactions to the movie franchise . . . reactions that stretched back to the release of the first movie during the summer of 1977.

I am old enough to recall seeing "STAR WARS: EPISODE IV - A NEW HOPE", when it was simply known as "STAR WARS" over 36 years ago. I have a confession to make. I disliked the movie intensely. I did not want to see it in the first place. In fact, my parents practically had to drag me to the theaters to watch the movie. Despite this, I still hated it. Looking back on my initial reaction, I realize that "A NEW HOPE" was something so entirely new that my mind immediately reject it. And it took me years to finally embrace it.

I was not that particularly thrilled when "STAR WARS: EPISODE V - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" hit the theaters during the summer of 1980, three years later. I had not completely dismiss it, like I did "A NEW HOPE". For some reason, the movie's darker story line, the Leia/Han romance and Darth Vader's revelation really lingered in my mind. However, I was not that thrilled that "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" ended on a cliffhanger. I still found it difficult to embrace "STAR WARS". In the end, "STAR WARS: EPISODE VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI" became the first Star Wars movie that I completely embraced. I suppose I was finally ready to embrace George Lucas' work, thanks to the success of 1981's "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK". By 1983, "STAR WARS" was no longer something new or too different for me to embrace. And I was a good deal older. Also, "RETURN OF THE JEDI" did not end on a cliffhanger. This attitude continued, until I saw "EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" for the first time in seven years. Not only did I completely embrace it, the movie eventually surpassed my affections for "RETURN OF THE JEDI". A year or two passed before I finally embraced "A NEW HOPE". In fact, I eventually began to regard it higher than "RETURN OF THE JEDI", as well.

When I learned that Lucas planned to release a new trilogy, set during the years before the Original Trilogy, I was a very happy woman. My infatuation with the "STAR WARS" saga had been revived by the re-release of the Original Trilogy in 1997, which had been remastered by Lucas. I really looked forward to a new set of "STAR WARS" movies. But I had no idea how Lucas planned to reveal the downfall of Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi and the Republic. And to be honest, I simply could not get into the "let's make assumptions" game. I simply decided to wait and see.

I saw "STAR WARS: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE" in 1999, when I was in my 30s. And I instantly fell in love with it. I found its style somewhat different from the first three movies, but I did not care. Being in my 30s, I rather enjoyed the tale, which struck me as more emotionally and politically complex. The complexity became even further in the next film, 2002's "STAR WARS: EPISODE II - ATTACK OF THE CLONES", which I absolutely loved. I loved it so much that I got a little teary at the end. Along with"THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK", it became my favorite "STAR WARS" movie of all time. Hell, I just recently watched it and realized that even to this day, I love it a lot. I also cried at the end of 2005's "STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH". One, it was a sad movie. And two, I thought at the time it would be the last "STAR WARS" movie to be released in theaters. Mind you, there are times when I find it a bit depressing. But I love it more than "THE PHANTOM MENACE". But "ATTACK OF THE CLONES"still remain my top favorite Prequel Trilogy movie. I have noticed that many of the old time fanboys are willing to embrace it, instead of the other Prequel Trilogy movies. I suspect that this tolerance for "REVENGE OF THE SITH" is due to the fact that in the film, Anakin Skywalker finally becames Darth Vader.

As you can see, my feelings about the current six "STAR WARS" movies seem a little strange for most of the franchise's fans. I love all six movies. Despite the differences in style, I was able to see the connections between the two trilogies. And to this day, I find it hard to understand those who prefer one trilogy over the other. Mind you, I feel they are entitled to their opinions. But I am entitled to mine. Because of my complete embrace of all six movies, I found it difficult to enjoy that YOU TUBE video clip - "Dear J.J. Abrams". I simply found it difficult to enjoy it or accept the views of its creator. Because of my love of all six films, I refuse to accept that this next film, "STAR WARS: EPISODE VII", has to regain former glory for the franchise. As far as I am concerned, the franchise has never lost its glory.

No comments: