Monday, May 11, 2015

A Letter to Matthew Weiner

mad-men-150510




A LETTER TO MATTHEW WEINER

Dear Matthew Weiner,

I just watched the latest episode of "MAD MEN", (7.13) "The Milk and Honey Route", and discovered that Betty Francis was doomed for a quickie death from lung cancer. And all I can say is . . .

FUCK YOU.

Fuck you for this piece of contrived writing that came out of the blue, due to your neverending desire to surprise the viewers. It's bad enough that you wasted Betty's nearly decade-long character development with impending death. But you decided to kill her off in the same manner as Don's former mistress, Rachel Katz. How unoriginal can you be?

This whole story arc disgusted me, because it seemed as if you had pulled it out of his ass and dumped it on the viewers without warning. I guess a quick death by lung cancer was your idea of Betty "developing" into a mature character. I should have known better, considering you are a man who found it realistic that a 21 year-old secretary with no college education can be promoted to a junior copywriter after EIGHT MONTHS of work experience, but found the idea of a black copywriter or accounts exec in the 1960s unrealistic . . . despite the fact that such people actually existed. This was a supreme example of your inability to create complex minority characters. And your idea of a FBI background investigation (in Season Four) was so ridiculous that I am still shaking my head in disgust.

After the contrived writing that surrounded Peggy Olson's original job promotion in (1.13) "The Wheel", the dumb ass FBI "investigation" of Don Draper in Season Four and your inability to create and write complex minority characters, I realized that I had enough. So again . . .

FUCK YOU.

No comments: