Friday, July 3, 2015

"Breath of the Undead" [PG-13] - 15/15




"BREATH OF THE UNDEAD"

Epilogue

Saundra Gilroy, also known as Dhea of the Khand Order, disconnected her cell phone and smiled to herself. She then reached for her desk telephone and dialed another number. Seconds later, a familiar voice answered, "Arthur Winslow, speaking." 

"Artemus? This is Dhea. Of the Khand Order. I have some news for you."

The other daemon's voice radiated anticipation. "Alonzo Giovanni?"

Dhea replied, "I had just received a call from him. He's interested in borrowing money from the Twenty-Two Group."

Artemus smugly continued, "Good. It seems that my little blackmail scheme has worked. When you had told me about your deal with Mr. Decker and his connections with the Giovanni family, I knew that an opportunity had presented itself. When will you see him?"

"Tomorrow." Dhea paused, as she contemplated her next question. "When would you like for me to sell Mr. Giovanni's contract to you?"

A pause followed before Artemus answered, "As soon as he signs it. Mr. Giovanni's contract might come in handy . . . in case a plan of mine doesn't work. Good day, Dhea. And thank you."

"It's always a pleasure to help you, Artemus. I look forward to the day when you become the new Source." The two daemons bid each other good-bye.

----------- 

Inside his private study, William Bourgh's cell phone rang. The judge picked it up and answered it. "Hello?"

"Judge Bourgh," a familiar voice replied. "It's me, Cedric Lloyd. I called to find out if you had learned the news."

Bourgh's mind went momentarily blank. "The news?"

"Come now, Your Honor," Lloyd chided. "I'm sure that you know of whom I speak. His body was found inside a dumpster, in San Mateo. It was on the news, this afternoon."

Oh yes. Ronald Wong. Two FBI agents had informed him of Wong's death, this morning. They had also reported Curt Decker's death. "Yes, I had heard."

"The offer still stands, Your Honor," Lloyd continued. "And Wong is no longer in a position to pose as a threat to you."

Bourgh sighed. He had already destroyed the material that arrived in that large, yellow envelope several days ago. However, Bourgh felt certain that Cedric Lloyd's client possessed copies. Along with the promise of shares in the Magan Corporation, the judge had come to a final decision. "I'll be more than happy to help your client, Mr. Lloyd. What do I need to do?"

The attorney's voice radiated triumph. "Good! I understand that you'll be free, tomorrow afternoon. I suggest that you come by my office at the Winslow Building around two o'clock. It is located on the 11th Floor. We'll draw up papers for your employment . . . and your shares. Until tomorrow, Your Honor."

"Right." Bourgh immediately hung up. Then he sunk his head into his hands and sighed. Despite his past affairs and shady dealings, he felt as if he had finally sunk into an abyss.


THE END

No comments: