Sunday, February 5, 2017

"SUPERMAN RETURNS" (2006) Review



"SUPERMAN RETURNS" (2006) Review

I never got to review most of the films from the 2006 Summer movie season.  Perhaps one, I will review movies such as "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III""POSEIDON""THE DaVINCI'S CODE", and "X-MEN 3: THE LAST STAND". However, I recently rewatched "SUPERMAN RETURNS" and decided to post my opinion on it.

I wish I could say that I had loved "SUPERMAN RETURNS". I wish I could say that I found it very original. I wish I could . . . but I cannot. Because I would be lying if I had said so. Do not get me wrong – "SUPERMAN RETURNS" is a pretty decent movie. But it also turned out to be something of a disappointment for me.

First of all, I felt that it was a big mistake on director Bryan Singer's part to carry on the story after SUPERMAN II" (1981). It was bad enough that he had re-used John Williams' score and Marlon Brando's image as Jor-El.  But he and screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris also used plot lines from "SUPERMAN"(1978).  They rehashed the following:

*Lois' rooftop meeting with Superman, followed by a flight over Metropolis

*Some of Chris Reeves' dialogue

*Lex Luthor's plot to destroy part of the U.S. for a land swindle (which was not handled very effectively).


Singer also borrowed the love triangle from the 2004 Marvel film, "SPIDER-MAN 2" . . . but with only a few twists.

In the end, I could not tell whether the movie was a sequel to SUPERMAN II or a remake of SUPERMAN. Very confusing and very disappointing. Although it was a pretty good movie with a first-class cast, it was also the most unoriginal comic book hero flick I have ever seen. Singer could have done better. I rated the movie a “B-“.

No comments: