Saturday, January 27, 2018
"VICTORIA" Season One (2016) Episode Ranking
Below is my ranking of the Season One episodes of the ITV series called "VICTORIA". Created by Daisy Goodwin, the series stars Jenna Coleman as Queen Victoria:
"VICTORIA" SEASON ONE (2016) EPISODE RANKING
1. (1.05) "An Ordinary Woman" - After the young Queen Victoria announces her engagement to Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, the Tory-controlled Parliament reacts with hostility at the idea of a German consort.
2. (1.03) "Brocket Hall" - Victoria receives pressure to get married as soon as possible from her mother, the Duchess of Kent; the latter's corrupted aide, Sir John Conroy; and her uncle, King Leopold of Belgium, who wants her to marry Prince Albert.
3. (1.02) "Ladies in Waiting" - When the popularity of Whig Prime Minister Lord Melbourne wanes, the Tory party under Sir Robert Peel eagerly anticipates assuming power and demand that the Queen dismiss her four Whig Ladies of the Bedchamber and replace them with the wives of Tories.
4. (1.07) "The Engine of Change" - Tory ministers plot to disrupt a pregnant Victoria and Albert's visit to northern England, after she declared that in the event of her death from childbirth, Albert will become regent.
5. (1.04) "A Clockwork Prince" - Prince Albert arrives in England to visit and officially court Victoria. The pair proved to be mutually aloof, and resentful for being pushed toward each other.
6. (1.01) "Doll 123" - Upon the death of King William IV, his 18 year-old niece, Victoria of Kent, becomes Britain's new sovereign and immediately declares her independence from the Duchess of Kent and Sir John. This also leads her into a royal scandal involving her mother's lady-in-waiting, Lady Flora Hastings.
7. (1.06) "The Queen's Husband" - Feeling listless in court, Prince Albert becomes interested in the abolitionist movement. Meanwhile, Victoria curries favor with her paternal uncle, the Duke of Sussex, who is unable to present his wife at court because their morganatic marriage.
8. (1.08) "Young England" - A heavily pregnant and bored Victoria defies the advice of her husband and mother by a drive to escape the confines of Buckingham Palace, attracting the attention of a deranged would-be assassin.