Friday, May 17, 2019

"THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE" (2010) Review






"THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE" (2010) Review

The 2010 television movie, "THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE", marked the third screen adaptation of Agatha Christie's 1962 novel of the same title. This particular adaptation from the "AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MARPLE" series starred Julia McKenzie as the leading character, Miss Jane Marple. 

Considering this is the third adaptation of Christie's novel, I almost feel inclined to compare it to the 1980 and 1992 adaptations. Perhaps I might every now and then. Otherwise, I will try to focus on the 2010 movie itself. The story began with the arrival of Hollywood starlet Marina Gregg and her husband, director Jason Rudd to Jane Marple's home village, St. Mary's Mead, England. The pair is in England to film Marina's latest film about the Egyptian queen Cleopatra. Marina and Jason have purchased Gossington Hall, the former home of Jane Marple's recently widowed friend, Mrs. Dolly Bantry. The cinematic pair eventually Marina host a fête and reception for St. Mary Mead's citizens. But due to a minor accident that left her foot sprained, Miss Marple was unable to attend. Among those guests that appeared at Gossington Hall for the fête were:

*Marina's former husband and gossip columnist Vincent Hogg, who has a personal grudge against her
*Lola Brewster, Vincent's current wife and Marina's younger screen rival and Jason's former lover
*Jason's personal secretary, Ella Blunt, who happens to be infatuated with him
*Mrs. Heather Babcock, an annoying and self-involved St. Mary's Mead citizen, who had first met Marina during World War II
*Local photographer Margot Pence, who happens to share a past connection to Marina


While Heather Babcock bores Marina with an account of their previous meeting during the reception at Gossington Hall, she drinks a cocktail meant for Marina and dies. Miss Marple and Detective-Inspector Hewitt discover that the cocktail had been poisoned. Both race to learn the killer's identity before he or she can reach the true target - Marina Gregg.

I have always been surprised that "The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side" is not that highly regarded by literary critics. Although some regarded as among the best of her later novels, it remains not as highly regarded as many of her earlier works. This is a pity, because I have always found the 1962 novel to be among Christie's more interesting works. 

There were aspects of "THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE" that . . . well, irked me. The production cast actor Nigel Harman as Marina Gregg's director/husband Jason Rudd. Harman is over twenty years older than Lindsay Duncan, who portrayed Marina. May-December romances on screen are not as uncommon as one would think - regardless of whether the man or woman is older. If the two performers in question have the screen dynamics to overcome this age discrepancy, then fine. The problem is that Harman lacked the screen presence to keep up with the likes of Duncan. He was no Rock Hudson or Barry Newman. Come to think of it, I had the same problem with the Vincent Hogg-Lola Brewster pairing. Actress Hannah Waddingham is over thirty years older than Martin Jarvis. And yet, she seemed to lack the screen presence to keep up with the likes of Jarvis. At least in this television production.

I had another problem with the Vincent Hogg character . . . namely his profession as a gossip columnist. Hogg is supposed to be one of Marina Gregg's former husbands. If the Vincent Hogg character had met and married Marina before he became a gossip columnist, I could understand this. But a Hollywood star marrying a columnist? I cannot see it. I also had a problem with the Heather Babcock character. I do not mean to be an ageist, but I feel that the actress who portrayed her, Caroline Quentin, was too old at the age of 49-50 to portray Mrs. Babcock. Then again, I could be using age to hide from the fact that I did not find Ms. Quentin's performance convincing. 

Did "THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE" live up to this interesting aspect of the novel. I honestly do not know. Perhaps. Perhaps not. Do not get me wrong. With the exceptions of a few changes regarding the story's characters, the 2010 television adaptation is more than less faithful to Christie's novel. Thanks to Lindsay Duncan's superb performance and Tom Shankland's direction, it did a great job in conveying Marina Gregg's fragile, yet artistic and ruthless personality and how she managed to accumulate so many enemies. There were certain scenes in the movie that I enjoyed. They include Miss Marple and Mrs. Bantry's initial meeting with Marina Gregg and Jason Rudd at Gossington Hall for tea; any scene with Victoria Smurfit, who gave a very sharp, yet entertaining performance as Jason's secretary, Elsa Blunt; the rather hilarious social encounter between the citizens of St. Mary's Mead and the Hollywood newcomers at fête, and the scene featuring Marina's breakdown during her filming of a Cleopatra movie.

I certainly had no problems with the movie's production values. Sheena Napier, who worked on her fifth (out of eleven) "AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MARPLE" movie, did an excellent job in re-creating the fashions of mid-20th century Britain. I can also say the same about Jeff Tessler, who skillfully took television viewers back to the same time period. And I felt somewhat satisfied with Cinders Forshaw's photography. I say . . . somewhat. Although I found his photography beautiful and colorful, I felt annoyed by the soft focus style that hinted the production's time period. So unnecessary.

I have already commented on those performances featured in "THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE" - like Lindsay Duncan, Victoria Smurfit and Caroline Quentin. I might as well comment on the other performances that I had missed. Julia McKenzie gave a marvelous performance, as always, as the brilliant and observant amateur sleuth, Miss Jane Marple. I noticed, however, that her performance seemed a bit more subtle than usual. Was this due to working alongside the more ebullient Joanna Lumley? I do not know. But I did noticed that the latter's portrayal of Dolly Bantry seemed even more extroverted than she did in 2004's "THE BODY IN THE LIBRARY". I enjoyed Ms. Lumley's performance, but there were times when I found it a bit grating. I may not have been impressed by Nigel Harman's chemistry with Lindsay Duncan, but I thought he gave a solid performance as Jason Rudd. On the other hand, I enjoyed Hugh Bonneville's skillful portrayal of the cool and slightly sharp-tongued Detective-Inspector Hewitt. He also had a surprisingly good screen chemistry with Julia McKenzie. Martin Jarvis nearly dominated every scene he was in as Marina's resentful, yet malicious ex-husband Vincent Hogg. I wish I could say the same for Hannah Waddingham, but I cannot. Even in those scenes in which she did not share with Jarvis, she made a very disappointing Lola Brewster. I certainly was not disappointed with Charlotte Riley's excellent, yet cool portrayal of the enigmatic photographer, Margot Bence. I can also say the same about Brennan Brown, who gave a very entertaining performance as Marina's highly nervous secretary, Hailey Preston. The television also featured solid performances from Olivia Darnley, Samuel Barnett and Neil Stuke and Michele Doctrice.

"THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE" is not the best Jane Marple movie I have ever seen . . . or even one of the best. Nor can I say that it is the best adaptation of Agatha Christie's 1962 novel. But despite its flaws, I must admit that I still managed to enjoy it, thanks to Tom Shankland's direction, Kevin Elyot's screenplay and a first-rate cast led by Julia McKenzie.

No comments: