Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Uniforms for Female S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents

 










While viewing many Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) films and television productions over the years, I have noticed something. I find it rather interesting . . . or perplexing that the clothes worn by the majority of female S.H.I.E.L.D. field agents wore tight-fitting uniforms.



UNIFORMS FOR FEMALE S.H.I.E.L.D. AGENTS

My question is . . . why? Before I continue, I will acknowledge there is one female character who wears a tight-fitting uniform - namely Carol Danvers aka Captain Marvel:



However, Carol Danvers was a U.S. Air Force pilot before she became an enhanced being. The uniform she wore was a variation of the Kree uniform that she originally wore after disappearing from Earth. And it was based on the uniform created for her in Marvel Comics. Could Marvel Comics and later, the MCU have created a less sexualized uniform for her? Yes. But that is nothing in compare to the uniforms worn by most S.H.I.E.L.D. agents within the franchise. And aside from two men - most female S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Like Captain Marvel's uniform, they are basically tight-fitting leather uniforms with a few variations. Below are following examples:



Agent Natasha Romanoff aka the Black Widow





Agent Maria Hill





Agent Melinda May aka "the Calvary"





Agent Daisy Johnson aka Skye aka Quake





Agent Bobbi Morse aka Mockingbird





Agent Elena Rodriguez aka Yo-Yo


There were at least three male S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives who constantly wore tight fitting leather uniforms:



Steve Rogers aka Captain America





Agent Clint Barton aka Hawkeye





Director Jeffrey Mace aka the Patriot

Out of eight S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and one agency director, only three were men. Three out of nine. And only one of them - Agent Barton - was not an enhanced (genuine or otherwise) individual. Yet, the majority of male S.H.I.E.L.D. field operatives usually wore what the situation called for - whether it was a military-style uniform, casual clothes or a suit.

I can only recall three female field operatives who did not wear any style of a leather unitard:



S.S.R. Agent/S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Peggy Carter - She never wore any kind of unitard or leather uniform during her years as a S.S.R. (forerunner of S.H.I.E.L.D. agency) agent. She wore an Army uniform or a military-style jumpsuit in the field during World War II and the early months of the post-war years.





Agent Sharon Carter - I have only seen her in pants, a blouse and a jacket in "CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER"; and in jeans/pants, a blouse and a vest (or jacket) in "CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR".





Agent Piper - Like many of her male colleagues, she wore either a military-style uniform or a casual outfit that consists of jeans/pants, a blouse and a jacket. How she managed to avoid being squeezed into a tight, leather unitard is a mystery. And great luck for her.


This brings me back to my original question. Why did the Marvel Cinematic Universe found it necessary to have its S.H.I.E.L.D. female characters dress in a tight, leather unitard (or something close to it)? Why have these characters dress like Cathy Gale and Emma Peel from the old "THE AVENGERS" television series? And why is it that most of the S.H.I.E.L.D. characters that dressed this way were women?


No comments: