Friday, December 6, 2013

"THE GREAT GATSBY" (2000) Review

2977-3


"THE GREAT GATSBY" (2000) Review

I am amazed at how long I have ignored F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 opus, "The Great Gatsby". I saw the 1974 movie adaptation of the novel years ago, but I found it difficult to appreciate the story. It was not until I saw Baz Luhrmann's recent adaptation that my full interest in the story was finally ignited. After watching that particular film, I came across this adaptation that aired on the A&E Channel in 2000. 

Directed by Robert Markowitz and adapted by John J. McLaughlin, "THE GREAT GATSBY" is a 90 minute teleplay set in the early years of the Jazz Age. The movie told the story of a mysterious young millionaire named Jay Gatsby, who settles in a large house on the West Egg side (for the newly rich) on prosperous Long Island. Narrated by Gatsby's neighbor; the well-born, yet impoverished Nick Carraway; audiences become aware of the millionaire's desire to woo and win back the heart of Daisy Fay Buchanan, an old love he had first met during World War I, who also happens to be Nick's cousin. However, standing in Gatsby's way is Daisy's wealthy and boorish husband and Nick's former Yale schoolmate, Tom Buchanan; Daisy's own uncertainty about a serious relationship with the lovesick Gatsby and the latter's questionable origin of his fortune. This clash between class and romantic aspirations leads to an emotional clash in a New York City hotel suite and later, tragedy and death.

There are some aspects of "THE GREAT GATSBY" that I found admirable. The best aspect of this television movie proved to be the showdown between Jay Gatsby and Tom Buchanan for the love of one Daisy Fay Buchanan. I thought it was well-acted - especially by Mira Sorvino and Martin Donovan as the Buchanans. And director Robert Markowitz injected with a good deal of intensity. I was also impressed by Markowitz's handling of the tragic hit-and-run of Myrtle Wison, Tom's working-class mistress, near her husband's Valley of Ashes gas station. This is the only version in which a distraught Daisy is briefly distracted by the infamous "Eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg" billboard before she avoids an oncoming car and kills Myrtle, while driving Gatsby's white convertible. I suspect this was an addition created for this movie, not featured in the novel. By allowing the billboard to indirectly lead to Myrtle's death struck me as inspired writing on McLaughlin's part, or inspired direction from Markowitz. Who knows? And it seemed a pity that no one else - Fitzgerald included - never considered it. The Nick Carraway-Jordan Baker romance had never seemed as sexy as it did in this movie. In fact, this is the only adaptation in which their relationship seemed to radiate with any real sexuality.

But despite these virtues, "THE GREAT GATSBY" seemed marred by a great deal of flaws. Perhaps too many flaws. There is so much about this movie that seemed off. One could tell at first glance that this production was lacking in serious cash. I realize that "THE GREAT GATSBY" is supposed to be a television production. But I find it odd that a production financed by both the A&E Cable Network in the United States, and Granada Productions in Great Britain; could look like a poor man's version of Fitzgerald's novel. The costumes designed by Nicoletta Massone left me shaking my head in disbelief. The clothes worn by wealthy characters such as Gatsby, the Buchanans and Jordan Baker seemed more appropriate for middle-class characters of the same era - the early 1920s. In one scene, Tom Buchanan made a snarky comment about Gatsby's wardrobe. Mind you, the latter was not wearing the infamous pink suit (much to my disappointment). But the cream-colored suit with the dark tie, white socks and dark shoes even made wince. Since the Nick Carraway character wore a similar outfit in the same scene, I found myself wondering why Tom did not extend his contempt to his cousin-in-law's wardrobe. Although elegant, the Buchanans' home struck me as more quaint than opulent. The exteriors of Gatsby's home seemed more opulent, but it had an elegant quality that seemed beyond Gatsby's tastes. And the interiors struck me as somewhat drab and middle-class. So much for the ostentation - and somewhat tasteless - mansion owned by the mysterious millionaire. I really enjoyed Carl Davis' score for this movie. But it seemed more appropriate for a neo-noir movie like "L.A. CONFIDENTIAL" or"MULHOLLAND FALLS", instead of a period drama like "THE GREAT GATSBY"

Although I had complimented Markowitz's direction in two sequences, I found most of his direction rather flaccid and uninspiring. There were moments I felt that he was simply going through the motions. And both he and McLaughlin did not do the audience any favors by including flashbacks of Gatsby and Daisy's World War I courtship. Those scenes were not only shot in soft focus, but also nearly put me to sleep. My God, they were boring! The parties held by Gatsby disappointed me, as well. Most of it - with the exception of the party attended by the Buchanans - struck me as mediocre and a ghost of those parties featured in Fitzgerald's novel and the other movie adaptations. And why on earth did McLaughlin's screenplay begin with Gatsby's murder? Was he and Markowitz trying to be different? Unique? It is bad enough that Fitzgerald's prose, in the form of Nick's narration, hinted that Gatsby was no longer around. Why wipe away the mystery altogether by starting the movie with Gatsby's murder? But if there is one thing that nearly tripped up "THE GREAT GATSBY", it had to be its casting.

Due to Granada Productions being a co-producer of the film, it was inevitable that a British actor or actress would be cast. That person turned out to be Toby Stephens, who was given the leading role of Jay Gatsby. Before I continue, I want to say that I have been a fan of Stephens for years, thanks to his outstanding work. Unfortunately, I cannot view Jay Gatsby as one of his best performances. He simply seemed so wrong for the role. Not only did he portray Gatsby with a stiff and unconvincing American accent, but also with a grin that threatened to form a smirk. Aside from a few emotional . . . or semi-emotional moments, I found his portrayal of Gatsby rather cocky. Paul Rudd could have made a decent Nick Carraway, if it were not for the bored expression on his face that occasionally marred his performance. I realize that Nick harbored some contempt toward Gatsby when they first met. But that contempt had disappeared by the time he arranged Gatsby and Daisy's afternoon reunion. Unfortunately, Rudd's Nick maintained that same contempt even throughout the reunion and did not really disappear until the blow up at the Plaza Hotel. What the hell? I wish I could simply blame Rudd, but I cannot. As the director, Markowitz should have realized what was going on and put a stop to it. He failed to do so. Martin Donovan gave an excellent performance as the brutish Tom Buchanan. However, he still proved to be the wrong actor for the role. Donovan's Tom never struck me as an egotistical ex-jock . . . merely an ill-tempered Moaning Minnie with too much money on his hands. Not only did I also have great difficulty in viewing him as a ladies' man, but also Nick's classmate at Yale. Martin Donovan and Paul Rudd are a good deal twelve years apart. And it shows. Jerry Grayson's brief portrayal of gambler/gangster Meyer Wolfsheim did not strike me as memorable. On the other hand, I will never forget William Camp's portrayal of Myrtle's loser husband, George Wilson. I found it incredible bad.

The three actresses in "THE GREAT GATSBY" fared better. Somewhat. I enjoyed Mira Sorvino's performance as the very feminine and flaky Daisy Buchanan. She did an excellent job of recapturing Daisy's warm, flirtatious personality and shallowness. My only problem with Sorvino is that she utilized a Northeastern accent to portray Daisy. And the latter came from the Upper South - Louisville, Kentucky. Thankfully, Francie Swift, who hails from Texas, used a soft Southern accent in her portrayal of Daisy's Louisville friend, golfer Jordan Baker. Mind you, Swift's Jordan did not strike me as a female athlete. But she gave a sly and sexy performance that I found satisfying. In fact, she might be the best Jordan Baker I have seen on screen - despite the Dutch Boy haircut and dull wardrobe. Heather Goldenhersh did a pretty good job of portraying the vulgar and ambitious Myrtle Wilson. I said good . . . not great. The actress portrayed a high, light voice that I would not associate with a character like Myrtle. And I did not find her desperation to escape from a life with the dull George Wilson particularly convincing. But I was impressed by Goldenhersh's one scene in which she conveyed Mrytle's account of her first meeting with Tom.

"THE GREAT GATSBY" had a few virtues - including some well done performances from the movie's three leading ladies and two exceptional sequences. But the flaws overwhelmed the virtues - including lackluster direction from Robert Markowitz and the producers' miscasting of Toby Stephens in the leading role. I have seen at least three versions of F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 novel. I hate to say it, but this 2000 television movie has to be the least impressive I have seen.

No comments: